Friday, September 13, 2013

Worthy of Love

Apparently children can't wrap their minds around the idea of their personal reflection until somewhere around 15 or 18 months of age. That means my 3-month-old daughter can't comprehend that she's looking at herself when she tracks her own baby blues in the mirror.

With this in mind, I can't help but wonder what she's thinking when she sees her reflection.

If we could translate her baby thoughts, would she say to herself, "Hello, little friend! You're cute. I like you!"

Or rather, "Ugh, those thighs. Girl, you oughta be drinking skim!"

When I think back to my own childhood, I'm not sure how old I was when I began to feel shame about my appearance. At some point in time, my focus in the mirror drifted away from the spinning ruffles of my dresses and settled on the bump on the bridge of my nose, the moles on my skin, and the way my calves seemed so stubby compared to everyone else's.

I'd like to say that I left those insecurities behind in my gel-penned journal pages from junior high, but if I'm honest, I still struggle. In moments of weakness, I still wonder if my shortcomings render me unworthy of love.

As a reminder for myself and a prayer for my daughter, I studied Psalm 23 this morning in light of God's all-sufficient love:

1. The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
In the arms of our Great Shepherd, all our needs for tender care and affection are fulfilled. There's no need to "trust in princes" (Psalm 146:3-5). When advertisements do their best to convince us that we're not enough, we know the truth. The Master Artist designed us to be uniquely beautiful. We truly lack nothing.

2. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters...
When life is chaotic, we can resist temptation to turn to food, or alcohol, or shopping, or any other addiction in search of escape. We find our "happy place" in God's Presence. His peace that transcends understanding is always available to us (Philippians 4:6-7).

3. He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
God quenches our thirst for more in life. Our paths may not lead us down a supermodel runway, or to a podium before thousands, or even to an office with our name on the door, but God gives our lives purpose. He makes our days count for the sake of His Eternal Name. (See Proverbs 3:5-6.)

4. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
The world is full of perils, but Our Savior has overcome the world (John 16:33). There's no need to be timid, or to cower in the shadow of another person. We can be bold and brave in all circumstances because the Holy Spirit is our Comforter (John 14:26). Even God's correction is comforting because it reassures us of His love (Hebrews 12:4-13).

5. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

When we dedicate our lives to Christ's service, we gain enemies in both the natural and spiritual realms. It takes faith to accept God's invitation to a peaceful meal in the midst of battle, but the Lord will fight for us. We need only be still (Exodus 14:13-14).

Also, we must remember that human affection is limited and fickle. We can adjust our appearances, strive for excellence, or even do a lot of good with the goal of being loved by others, but nothing can satisfy like God's love. He anoints us (makes us holy) even though we don't deserve it. He fills us with love so that it spills over, compelling us to love those around us in a pure and genuine way (1 Peter 1:22).

6. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
God is faithful. We have a permanent address in the shelter of His wings (Psalm 36:5-9).

I hope these reflections have been a blessing to you as they have been for me. I'll leave you with, "Beautiful" by Bethany Dillon: