Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why I Don't Drink - FAQ

I get a lot of questions about why I choose not to drink alcohol, so I thought it was about time I wrote a blog post on the subject.

Contrary to what some might assume, my reasoning behind abstaining has little to do with my Christian faith and much more to do with past experiences.

Before we dive in, I'd like to make things clear from the get-go that my motivation behind writing this post is not to stir up arguments. I'm just sharing my personal convictions, not passing judgment on anyone else's. Those who know me will attest to the fact that I'm a peacemaker to a fault, and definitely not a fan of controversy.

So, let's begin. I thought I'd tackle the subject in the form of questions I've received in everyday conversation:

1. Do you think drinking alcohol is a sin?

No, I don't think it's a sin to drink alcohol. I'm no Bible scholar, so I won't dig into this too deeply. But in a nutshell, it seems to me that Jesus wouldn't have turned water into wine for a wedding party to enjoy if fermented drink was the devil's concoction (see John 2:1-11). And I do believe that Jesus' wine was fermented, since the master of the wedding banquet essentially refers to it as the good stuff (vs. 10).

Additionally, wine is used in a positive symbolic sense throughout Scriptures (see this article).

I do, however, believe that excessive indulgence in alcohol to the point of drunkenness is irresponsible, and yes, sinful. (See Proverbs 23:29-35, Isaiah 5:11, Ephesians 5:18, and 1 Peter 4:3.)
[Note - 8/20/2013] I'd like to add that I don't look down my nose at those who struggle with alcoholism or any other harmful habit. I'm a wreck without Jesus. I can never afford to lose sight of that.

2. How much is too much, by your standards?

Like any area of life where we exercise self-control, I think it's best not to test our limits to see how far we can go before negative consequences kick-in. Everyone holds their liquor differently, so I think it's important for those who drink to monitor their own consumption and maintain an awareness of their own physiological reactions.

In my book, if you're inebriated to the point that your lack of inhibition can cause you to make immoral decisions or say things that cause dissension, you've gone too far.

3. Why do you abstain completely if you think drinking in moderation is okay?

My answer is twofold:
1) Memories: To make a long story short, being around drunkenness as a child put a bad taste in my mouth, and now alcohol is completely unappealing to me. (Speaking of bad taste, the only time alcohol has ever crossed my lips was when I was seven and I mistook my dad's beer for ginger ale. I spat it back into the glass. If I'm not mistaken, Dad went ahead and drank it anyway.)

In my Italian-American family, wine glasses go on place settings along with silverware and plates. There's just no second-thought to it, and no one gets sloshed on a daily basis. That being said, large social gatherings are often occasions where the liquor cabinet swings open and remains open. 
As a child, I didn't like watching the adults around me get drunk at parties. It was a bit of a circus act from my point-of-view. Some grown ups were weeping while others were picking fights. Some were telling filthy jokes and others were becoming physically sick or falling asleep in odd places. I just didn't like what happened to people when they were drunk, and that left an impression on me.

As an adult, I understand that it's entirely possible to enjoy alcohol in moderation without getting drunk. Maybe one day I'll get over myself and try a glass of wine. For now, though, I just have no desire.

2) "Regrets, I've had a few...": In my last blog post, I shared how I struggle with clinging guilt. In all honesty, I say and do enough regrettable things when I'm completely sober. I'm not about to throw in the variable of lowered inhibitions and have even more nonsense hanging over my head. Again, maybe one day I'll enjoy greater freedom in Christ, and I'll be able to get past that. I'm just not there yet.
4. Do you mind seeing people drink?

Nope. Go ahead and drink. It doesn't bother me when people drink responsibly, and I'm not judging you. Just none for me, thanks. I'll stick to water with lemon.


2 comments:

  1. Good writing & great points of view. If anyone knows you at all they know that you're not judgemental on this subject or much anything. Enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete