Thursday, July 4, 2013

Free & Brave

"And that, my dear, is why our country is the land of the free and home of the brave." I concluded Karen's mini-history lesson with these words this morning as I buttoned-up her 4th-of-July-onesie. She displayed her appreciation for my rant on patriotism by sneezing so that milk came out of her nose.

As I dabbed at my sweet little mess with a burp cloth, I began to wonder if the words I'd just shared with her were true. Sure, back in 1776, our forefathers fought against one of the greatest world powers of the day to defend their inalienable rights. But are 21st century Americans as brave as our Revolutionary forerunners? Are we as free as they hoped we'd be?

I know some of us are brave. Firefighters, police officers, and the military come to mind. Maybe some of us are free. New York's Naked Cowboy seems about as unencumbered as they come... although, I think freedom from pants might be taking things too far.

What I'm really asking, I suppose, is are we spiritually free and spiritually brave? Or to make things more personal, am I spiritually free and brave? Are you?

I know without a doubt that "it's for freedom that Christ set us free" (Galatians 5:1). And I know Christ's followers are called to bravery. We're charged to come boldly to the throne of His grace (Hebrews 4:16) and to live a lifenot of timiditybut of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7). Yes, I know these truths, but do I live them out? Well, if I'm honest...

I'm not completely free. I still find myself entrapped by self-pity at times, wishing I could be more somehowmore attractive, more accomplished, more esteemed.

And I'm not completely brave. Sometimes I can't get over feeling impossibly small and insignificant compared to others. In the presence of some particularly impressive folks, my insecurities even inhibit my ability to raise my voice above a whisper.

Now that I'm a mom, however, I feel that it's time to get over myself. I want to be a better example for my daughter. I want my American Girl to be the embodiment of the land of the free and the home of the brave, doggonit.

I know that I can't just declare my freedom and leave it at that. Like our forefathers who penned the Declaration of Independence, I understand there's a fight ahead. Only mine is a spiritual battle (Ephesians 6:12).

Although it won't be easy, for my daughter's sake, and for my own, I'm putting my game-face on. No more pussyfooting around. It's time to take hold of the freedom that Christ intended for me to have.

How about you? What sort of things keep you from experiencing true freedom? Can you summon the bravery to ask for God's strength to overcome?


For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. - 1 John 5:4