Saturday, May 11, 2013

On Mother's Day

My mom and I at my baby shower. Many of
our guests drove quite a distance to show
their love and shower my baby with gifts. The
least I could do for them was wear a ridiculous
hat made of ribbons and bows (the handiwork
of my friend, Emily). 
I’d like to dedicate this post to my mother, Carol.

Mom, as I look forward to raising my daughter-to-come, I’ve been thinking about all the ways that you provided for me, taught me, and helped me to grow. Little Karen is so blessed to have a grandma as fun and inspiring as you.
This Mother’s Day, I’d like to share a list of things about you that I’ve always admired:

1. Your Faith
I’m thankful that you raised me in Christ’s love. I love the way that you pray, cherish God’s Word, and are always ready to talk about what Christ has done for you.

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes …” Romans 1:16 (NIV).



2. Your Creativity
Thank you for always encouraging me to express myself. I’ll never forget the little drawing lessons you gave me at the kitchen table or on the back of placemats in pizzerias. I can’t thank you enough for how you cherished my childhood drawings and loved to hear me sing. Your belief in my abilities gave me the confidence I needed to keep creating and improve my skills.

“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do,” Ephesians 2:10 (NIV).


3. Your Hospitality
You have a way of making everyone you meet feel welcomed and appreciated. Whether it’s listening to their stories, or sharing a kind word or touch, or making them laugh, you have a special gift for loving the people who cross your path. I love how you and dad never hesitate to extend an invitation into your home. I hope one day I’ll learn to be even half as friendly and welcoming as you.

“Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers...” Hebrews 13:1-2 (NIV).


4. Your Energy
I admire the way that you make the most of everyday. I’ve always had a hard time keeping up with you—from the days I tottered beside you on the sidewalks in Brooklyn; to the days we worked together cleaning hotel rooms. You’re so strong, determined, and motivated.

“She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks,” Proverbs 31:17 (NIV).


5. Your Humility
I’m thankful for the ways that you humbly serve others. For the nearly 23 years that I lived under your roof, you did countless loads of laundry, drove me to school activities, and made me amazing sandwiches, all with so much love. Over the years, I’ve watched you put all pride aside as you cared for neighbors and family members in need.

“In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God… made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant…” Philippians 2:5-7 (NIV).


You’re amazing.

Love Always,
Michelle