Monday, December 3, 2012

Make the World Go Away


When you’re faced with a threat, do you tend to fight... or take flight? Maybe your response varies depending on the type of peril you’re facing. You might fight to compete for a promotion at work, for example, but run for cover when your neighbor’s kid comes to the door with those disarming dimples and yet another little league fundraiser.

I’d like to say that I’m a natural-born fighter, but to be truthful, I don’t have an aggressive or competitive bone in my body. When threats come my way, my instincts lead me to roll over and play dead. You can prod me all you want, but I’m a-gonna lay there with my eyes crossed until the threat loses interest or consumes me alive.

How’s that for inspirational? Hang in there; I didn’t get to that part yet. I need to finish airing my dirty laundry first.

I’ve had a lot on my mind during the past few weeks. It’s mostly good stuff. Even so, I’m a mess when life’s challenges don’t lend themselves to checkboxes on a to-do list.

For instance, I can think of about a million things that Chris and I should do to prepare for this baby on the way, but it’s hard to know what to tackle first. And besides that, how are we supposed to prioritize all the baby stuff along with the regular responsibilities that keep us going—like laundry, and grocery shopping, and vacuuming cat fur off the sofa pillows? And what about when the baby actually arrives? How will we balance it all? Is it wrong to shave a cat?

Panicky thoughts like those have been ping-ponging around in my head nonstop for awhile now. When I arrive home from work each day and take a look at my to-do list, I involuntarily begin blubbering the lyrics to Eddy Arnold’s "Make the World Go Away." I'll manage to check off an item on the list here and there, but the tasks are often accomplished through tears and interrupted with avoidance-driven naps.

Go ahead; blame my weepiness and sleepiness on pregnancy hormones. It’s kind of you to slide me a pass that way, and I’m sure the skyrocketing levels of estrogen and progesterone have something to do with it all, but I still need to get my act together.

Okay, here comes the inspirational part. A friend of mine reminded me this weekend that “God is for me” (Romans 8:31). I needed to hear that. Paul goes on in Romans 8 to say that Jesus is interceding for us, and that nothing can separate us from His love, and that we’re more than conquerors through Him.

So when we’re feeling overwhelmed and defeated, let’s not lose sight of the truth that God is on our side. There’s no sense in playing dead when the same power that conquered the grave is alive in us (Romans 8:11). Let’s silence our anxieties with prayer and thanksgiving, and allow God’s peace to guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-9). The battle is won. Let’s live in the victory.


“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9