Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Blunder Games




[click to view larger]
You might say that my husband, Chris, and I aren’t outdoorsy types. It’s not that we don’t like nature. We just prefer to bask in the glow of our computer screens.

Last month, we bid our 3G signals adieu and vacationed in the Poconos. The trip had quite a few highlights. We took a hike in the woods, went swimming, and tried out a few new recreational activities. Shuffleboard was harmless enough. Row boating was a little on the daring side (we rowed in circles for a while until we sorted things out). Archery, however, was an adventure in itself.

Since my limp little arms couldn’t bend a bow, I opted instead to record Chris’ demonstration of skill. Check out the video above to see how it turned out. (He’s a good sport, isn’t he?)

Although my husband is blessed with many talents, we discovered that archery isn’t one of them. He’s a generally coordinated guy, but he was a bit out of his element with a bow and arrow.

It’s difficult to handle physical weapons without proper instruction. Likewise, spiritual warfare can take some time to truly grasp. We fumble and have some blunders along the way. It’s as if we’re out of our element. We have flesh, but we’re struggling against “the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12) using weapons that are not of this world (2 Corinthians 10:4).

Thankfully, we’re not left to figure it all out on our own. God offers His Word and His Spirit to guide us. If we cling to Him daily, we can stand firm in the face of temptations, hardships, and disease (1 Corinthians 10:12-13, Psalm 46:1-3, Isaiah 53:4-5).
It is God who arms me with strength
    and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
    he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You make your saving help my shield,
    and your right hand sustains me;
    your help has made me great.
You provide a broad path for my feet,
    so that my ankles do not give way.

- PSALM 18:32-36
Have you considered the spiritual battle raging in your life? What practical things do you do to draw near to God and rely on His help in times of trouble? When you stumble, how do you rise above it?


“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” - EPHESIANS 6:10-11