Friday, September 28, 2012

Making Life Count

It’s been a tearful day for our family. This morning, my dad called to share the news that his sister passed away. After a long battle with ovarian cancer, my dear aunt has gone home to be with Jesus.

Although I'm grieving, it brings a smile to my face to know that she’s rejoicing in God’s presence. I’ll always remember standing beside my aunt in church as she sung from the hymnal. She wasn’t timid about raising her voice to sing for her Savior. And now, at last, she’s singing for Him in Heaven.

“...We do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.” 
- 1 THESSALONIANS 4:13-14
There’s no denying that my aunt lived her life to the fullest. From her dedication to teaching, to achieving her masters in her later years; from honoring her husband, to raising her children; from traveling the world with her family, to hosting gatherings in her home—it’s clear that every one of her days mattered.

She lived a life worthy of the calling she received (Ephesians 4:1). She made a loving impact on every life she touched. I want to live like she lived.

But I have a long way to go.


If I’m honest, I can look back over the last 27 years and see that I’ve wasted countless hours of precious time. I’ve procrastinated. I’ve held back. I’ve busied myself with useless things at the expense of things that matter. I’ve even brushed off time with loved ones. Sure, I’ve had meaningful times worshiping and serving God. I've done some good here and there. But I want to do more. Or maybe… I want to do less, but with more significance.

I want to live more. That’s it. I want to make my life count.

I’ve been listening to “How You Live” by Point of Grace a lot today. My aunt could have easily written the lyrics. I hope it will inspire you as it has inspired me.


"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
- PROVERBS 31:26-31