Saturday, August 18, 2012

Getting Punched in the Stomach

After a long day in second grade, I slumped into a worn vinyl seat on the school bus and leaned my forehead against the window. I couldn't wait to get home to my dog, some cartoons, and a juicebox. The bus rolled along past farms and fields as I anxiously awaited a glimpse of the pine trees that lined my neighborhood.

A few minutes into the ride, a boy seated across the aisle leaned over and tapped my shoulder. “Hey short girl, how old are you?”

“Seven,” I replied, a bit miffed that this boy from my class didn’t bother to use my name.

“Seven?” he growled back. “I’m eight. How come you’re smarter than me?”

“Huh?” I wasn't as bright as my thick glasses and shy demeanor led people to believe. “How should I know? Maybe you should read more.”

And with that, he held me by the shoulder and pulled back his fist. The next thing I knew, his knuckles met my stomach with full force.

I winced, anticipating another blow, but that solid punch was apparently all he needed to release his aggression. He was done with me. And I was left to nurse my pain with the lukewarm icepack from my lunchbox.

When the bus finally arrived at my stop, I ran all the way home, flung open the screen door, and made a beeline for my father. His smile faded at the sight of my tear-streaked face, and he bent down to catch me in his arms.

As I told him all that happened, he shook his head and bit his lip. “This is my fault, little girl,” he said, to my surprise. “I never taught you to defend yourself. Here, hold your arm across your chest like this. I’m going to show you how to block a punch.”

I’d hoped he might first call the school and get my classmate in serious trouble. Later on, he did just that, but his first priority was to teach me self-defense.

Just like nerds on the school bus, many Christians go around with lots of head knowledge, but very little ability to defend themselves against attack. Thankfully, God’s Word offers a clear guide to spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6:10-18 is one of the most famous passages on this subject. God instructs us to put on His full armor, which includes both defense gear and weapons. With the belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, shoes of peace, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and sword of the Spirit (God’s Word), we can take our stand against the devil’s schemes.

So, clearly, the call to faith is also a call to arms. Sure, there are times for celebration, but we must always keep alert (1 Peter 5:8-9).

In Nehemiah 4:16-18, we read that those working to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem held tools with one hand and weapons with the other. Later, in chapter 6, Nehemiah models perseverance for us when he ignores the distracting invitations to meet his enemies in the plain of Ono. He maintains his focus on the task before him and prays, “Strengthen my hands.”

I think we each have our own plain of Ono (or oh no!). My catechism book used to describe those places as the “near occasions of sin.” Or, to put it plainly, the places the enemy lures you in order to catch you off guard.

Our place of vulnerability might be a computer screen in a dark room, or a department store sale, or a barstool. Wherever it is, we can secure our armor, maintain our focus, and ask God to strengthen our hands. We’re called to live with equal dedication to both the work of God’s Kingdom and spiritual battle. Neglecting one or the other will lead to trouble.

In Nehemiah’s day, the people also made a pact to stand together. In times of distress, they knew to rush to the sound of a trumpet blast. There's safety in community for us today as well.

So, how are things going in your seat on the bus? Let's not daydream out the window. Stay alert. Stay connected. Stand strong.