Saturday, August 11, 2012

Buried Treasures

Deep in the recesses of a linen closet, I keep two incredibly embarrassing old journals. Amidst poems and doodles, these spiral-bound pages catalogue the not-so-thrilling sagas of my high school crushes. Par exemple: “He turned around in study hall and asked to borrow my graphing calculator. Yippee! He knows I exist!”

I’ve considered tossing my old journals into a bonfire on more than one occasion. But whenever I page through them, I come across sweet family memories, vignettes from my early walk with God, and anecdotes about the Latino from youth group who’s now my husband. Those bits of nostalgia are worth treasuring, so the journals remain.

But what if, each evening, I dug up my journals and pined away for that guy from tenth grade study hall?
That’d be ridiculous, on one level—but on a much more grievous level, the fruit of an unfaithful heart. The dusty altars of high school infatuations came crashing down years ago. Resurrecting them in secret would be a sin.

In Joshua 6-7 we read about a sneaky fella named Achan who coveted things devoted to destruction. When the walls of Jericho fell, God instructed the Israelites to destroy everything in the pagan city. Achan, however, nabbed some treasures and buried them in the ground under his tent. His wicked act enraged the LORD so much that He allowed the Israelites to lose their next battle. When Achan admitted his sin, he and his family were stoned to death.

Yikes! Thank goodness for New Testament grace! Yes, our God still abhors forbidden treasures. He weighs the motives of our hearts and brings everything in darkness into the light (Proverbs 16:2; 1 Corinthians 4:5). But like the woman caught in adultery, we can humble ourselves at Jesus’ feet. He forgives our secret sins and makes us clean again. There’s no condemnation, no stoning.

I’ll admit that I’m skilled at keeping my tent swept and tidy on the outside. If I’m not careful, however, secret motives or characteristics of my “old nature” can remain stowed away under the surface. I’m thankful for the way that God instructs me through His Word, His Spirit, and through Christian friendships. When hidden treasures come to the surface, I can hand them over, repent, and move on.

So, what’s in your tent? If God has made you aware of “buried treasures,” how will you deal with them?