Friday, March 22, 2013

Songs that Make Me Happy

15 Songs that Make Me Happy

  1. Angelina (1945) – Louis Prima
  2. Papa Loves Mambo (1954) – Perry Como
  3. Paperback Writer (1966) – The Beatles
  4. Oh Happy Day (1967) – The Edith Hawkins Singers
  5. Our House (1970) – Crosby, Stills & Nash
  6. Oye Como Va (1971) – Santana
  7. Call Me Al (1986) – Paul Simon
  8. 500 Miles (1988) – The Proclaimers
  9. Just a Little Talk With Jesus (1996) – Donnie McClurkin
  10. Brighter Day (2002) – Kirk Franklin
  11. The Best is Yet to Come (2002) – Donald Lawrence
  12. Oh Praise Him (2003) – David Crowder Band
  13. Pure (2005) – Superchick
  14. Happy (2006) Ayiesha Woods
  15. Say Hey (2008) – Michael Franti
What does it mean to be in the world but not of it? (See John 17:14-19.)

At one time, my go-to response to that question would have been a list of behavioral do’s and don’ts. I’ve revised my thinking since then, thankfully.

While Christians are called to live a sanctified life, we can easily fall out of balance when we focus our energies on outward cleanliness and neglect what’s inside (see Matthew 23:25-26).

I wish I’d grasped that revelation instead of a pair of scissors a few years ago when I sanctified my music collection.

As a shy child who rarely connected with kids my age, my parents played the most influential role in shaping my music preferences. They both enjoyed the chart-toppers they’d grown up with in the 60’s and 70’s. My dad’s tastes were a bit more eclectic, though, in that he also loved classic jazz, 80’s hits, and pretty much anything with a dance beat in a foreign language.
Consequently, my exposure to contemporary Top 40 was limited to whatever I heard over the intercom during our regular trips to K-Mart. I wasn’t impressed, needless to say. The soundtrack of my childhood was filled with old-fashioned songs with old-fashioned messages, and nothing made me happier than to belt out the lyrics with my parents over a bowl of meatballs.

That is, until I tore my music collection to shreds.

In my late teens, a few peers at church destroyed all of their secular (worldly) CDs and vowed to listen solely to Christian music from then on. I wouldn’t doubt that God genuinely moved on their hearts to make those difficult decisions. However, looking back, I’m not sure that my choice to follow suit was genuinely Spirit-led. The music I’d grown up with was wholesome and tied to many happy memories. There was nothing immoral about it.

Whether or not it was right to bust apart my Sinatra CDs, in the years that followed, I rebuilt my collection on a foundation of Contemporary Christian and Gospel. I’m thankful for the ways that God has touched my heart through these genres. More recently, however, I’ve come to realize that the line between what’s sacred and secular isn’t as clearly defined as I once thought it was.

In fact, I believe that it’s right and healthy to enjoy clean entertainment and hobbies that don’t necessarily carry a Christian label. Here’s why…

Jesus calls us to shine our light before others (see Matthew 5:14-16). He also came so that we can enjoy life to the fullest (see John 10:10).

With those truths in mind, consider how effortless is it to show God’s light when we begin a relationship with a non-believer in a dog park, or sports arena, or in an aisle in a music store. When we’re standing on common ground, we can relate on an enjoyable, human level and simply allow the love of Christ to show through us—no Bible tracts or contrived witnessing tactics needed.

If we’re afraid to set foot outside of the Christian bookstore, however, we’ll miss these opportunities entirely. I’m not at all suggesting that we ditch our Christian resources and activities in favor of secular interests, but like most things in life, we need to find a balance.

I’m pleased to share that I believe I’ve struck a balance in my music choices. You’ll find a list of 15 of my all-time favorites above. I considered dividing the list between secular and Christian, but I chose to sort it by release date instead. I know that God’s presence is with me whether I’m busting a move to Perry Como in the kitchen or lifting my hands to a Gospel hit during prayer time. Labels aside, these songs make me happy, and I hope you’ll enjoy them as well.