Friday, July 13, 2012

Pass the Cheese


I’m not as loud and outgoing as an Italian-American probably ought to be. As far as living-into a stereotype is concerned, I’m clearly defective. I can’t tell you how many meatballs have cooled to room temperature in my plate as I’ve struggled to gain my cumpari’s attention to pass the Parmesan. At the dinner table, and in life in general, I’m just not good at speaking up.

I’ve felt a little nudge to start a blog for some time now, but I've always dismissed the notion. After all, with all the knowledgeable, compelling, creative voices out there, who on earth would pause to listen if I raised a finger and cleared my throat?

Even as I write my first post, I’m not completely certain that I have anything to say that’s worth listening to. I came across an inspiring article, however, in this month’s issue of National Geographic, which helped me work up the nerve to at least try.

The article described how linguists are scrambling to rescue so-called endangered languages. Apparently, as we become a global society, many tribal people are abandoning their mother tongues in favor of mainstream languages. Which means, “By the next century nearly half of the roughly 7,000 languages spoken on Earth will likely disappear.”

It’s an interesting trend, but you may question, as I did, “What’s the big deal? Why spend all the time and resources to keep these languages alive?”

As it turns out, each tribal language carries with it a fascinating, completely unique perspective. Isolated villages are intimately dependent on their region’s flora and fauna, which means that they often develop complex naming systems and profound insights that are nearly impossible to translate into another language.

Which means, if their words go silent, the world has lost something precious.

It didn’t hit me at first, but over the past few days I’ve begun to wonder… If a nomadic herdsman in the middle of Asia has something to say that’s worth documenting, is it possible that a 4’10” graphic designer in Pennsylvania has a unique perspective of her own to share? I’m beginning to think it’s possible.

So what about you? If you’re the timid type, is it time you spoke up? Or if you’re as boisterous as my Italian family, how can you be attentive to the wee whispering ones around you?


I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath! PSALM 116:1,2 (NLT)